Saturday, April 15, 2023

Spoken English Day 1 Asking and answering simple questions about name, occupation, and hobbies (Part 2)

 

Level 1

Asking Questions:

  1. What's your name?
  2. What do you do for a living?
  3. What are some of your hobbies?

Answering Questions:

  1. My name is Sarah.
  2. I work as a marketing manager for a software company.
  3. Some of my hobbies include hiking, reading, and practicing yoga.

Let's take a closer look at some example responses for each question:

  1. What's your name?
  • My name is John. Nice to meet you!
  • Hi there, I'm Maria.
  • .
  1. What do you do for a living?
  • I work as a software engineer for a tech company.
  • I'm a teacher at a local high school.
  • I run my own business as a freelance writer.
  1. What are some of your hobbies?
  • I love playing soccer on the weekends with my friends.
  • In my free time, I enjoy painting and drawing.
  • I'm a big fan of cooking and trying out new recipes in the kitchen.

It's important to provide some additional details or examples when answering these questions, as it can help to give the person you're talking to a better sense of who you are and what you're passionate about. For instance:

  • When discussing your occupation, you might mention a recent project you worked on, a key achievement you're proud of, or a skill you've developed over time.
  • When talking about your hobbies, you could share a specific experience you had while pursuing that hobby, a goal you're working towards, or a related interest that you're currently exploring.

Overall, answering these simple questions in detail can help to create a more engaging and meaningful conversation, while also showcasing your personality and interests.

Level 2

Asking Questions:

  1. What's your name?
  2. What do you do for a living?
  3. What are some of your hobbies?

Answering Questions:

  1. My name is Sarah. You can call me by my nickname, which is "Sari."
  2. I work as a project manager in the IT industry. I'm responsible for overseeing various tasks and making sure everything is on track.
  3. I have a few hobbies that I like to do in my free time. I'm really into hiking, so I often hit the trails on the weekends. I also enjoy reading and getting lost in a good book.

Let's take a closer look at some example responses for each question using more phrasal verbs and idioms:

  1. What's your name?
  • My name is John, but my friends and family often call me "Johnny Boy."
  • Hi there, I'm Maria, but most people just call me "Mari" for short.
  • You can call me Alex, or if you prefer, my nickname is "Lex."
  1. What do you do for a living?
  • I work as a software engineer for a tech company. I help to develop new applications and maintain existing ones.
  • I'm a teacher at a local high school. I love to help my students achieve their goals and see them succeed.
  • I run my own business as a freelance writer. I'm always looking for new clients and projects to work on.
  1. What are some of your hobbies?
  • I'm really into hiking and exploring the outdoors. I often hit the trails on the weekends and take in the beautiful scenery.
  • In my free time, I enjoy reading and getting lost in a good book. It's a great way to unwind and relax.
  • I'm a big foodie and love to try out new restaurants and cuisines. It's always fun to discover new flavors and dishes.

Using phrasal verbs and idioms can help to make your responses more interesting and engaging. For instance, you might say:

  • "I'm responsible for overseeing various tasks and making sure everything is on track." (phrasal verb: "overseeing")
  • "I love to help my students achieve their goals and see them succeed." (idiom: "see them succeed")
  • "I'm always looking for new clients and projects to work on." (phrasal verb: "looking for")

Overall, incorporating phrasal verbs and idioms into your responses can help to showcase your fluency in English, while also making your responses more memorable and engaging for the person you're talking to.

No comments:

Post a Comment